Change is Here to Stay
Change is the only constant in life. — Heraclitus, Greek Philosopher
This quote from the Greek philospher Heraclitus, who lived approximately 2,500 years ago, is as true now as it was then. The guy was obviously onto something. Without change, says Heraclitus, there's no life as we know it.
Change defines human history, and it's one thing we can count on in the future. We've gone through what feels like a generational period of change this past year, starting with the COVID-19 pandemic in early 2020, which caused a ripple effect of societal change in the way we worked, cared for each other and sought to create greater racial and economic equity. We've exhausted certain words (I'm looking at you "unprecendented") just trying to articulate what it felt like to have our lives and workplaces upended in such unexpected ways.
Creatis, too, has undergone a big change, becoming part of the 24 Seven family of companies, after 20+ years of local ownership. 24 Seven, headquartered in New York City, is one of the nation’s largest digital marketing and creative staffing and recruiting firms. We play in the same industry and that helps makes this new partnership a win-win for both parties, paving the way for future growth and expansion. We've found that open lines of communication are a big help when facing organizational change, and it helps that 24 Seven's team share the work ethic and kindness that we do.
As the world reopens, hiring picks-up and we work to define a new normal, it will be critical important for employers and employees to work together to create a better way to work, while continuing to move the needle of progress. Here are ways to embrace change in your own career and professional development.
- Do What You Can, Drop What You Can't
- Knowing what you do/don't control is key. Do what's within your power to do to prepare for change, and let the rest go. This might mean being proactive with your supervisors or simply waiting for direction, even in a time of uncertainty.
- Feet On The Ground
- Stay grounded by following your core values to help you make business decisions. Your values will help you choose one job or project over others. Creatis Core Values of Be Excellent, Teamwork, Of Service, Do What's Right and Shared Journey still guide our company, and are more important than ever as we enter a new, exciting period of business with 24 Seven.
- Ask Questions, Look for Answers
- Life is too short not to ask questions, even if they're big ones. If you're concerned about a change in your workplace, want to understand your ompany better or are contemplating a big career move — go out and actively find your answers while keeping a kind, professional tone and an open mind. Use times of change as an opportunity to upskill, gain new skills, and better understand your industry. Knowledge is power.
- Lean On Your Network
- There are some questions that can't be answered. Sometimes, like in a pandemic, you're just feeling frustrated, cut-off and alone. Lean on your support network, talk to your colleagues and family about where you're at without sugar-coating it. Vulnerability is often the starting point to authentic connection, self-care and personal growth.
- Trust Yourself
- After 2020 you're an expert in confronting change. You can make friends with change and overcome obstacles knowing you've got the ability and support network to get through.
You can also apply here: Work at Creatis